[X2Go-User] [X2Go-Dev] Shifting my focus in X2Go

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Mon Jan 12 22:49:50 CET 2015

Am 11.01.2015 um 08:45 schrieb Heinz-M. Graesing:
> Dear Mike#1,
>
> we really thank you for your contributions, ideas and your help in
> the last 4 years. Thank you for taking the lead and assuming
> command when and where leadership was needed especially when the
> project was lacking it.

[a lot more well-deserved praise]

Dear Mike#1,

Heinz has pretty much already said everything that needed to be said, so
let me just quickly add a "+1" on all the things stated in his mail.

In addition to that, you deserve a very special *THANK YOU* from me for
helping me organize the 2014 community event by serving as the project
liaison to the Linuxhotel staff - a duty I was unable to perform myself
due to the time it takes to travel all the way up to Essen from the
South of Germany, and back.

Also, for being the voice of reason and acting as a calm, impartial
mediator whenever discussions became heated to a point that was
detrimental and poisonous to the project.  I hope you will never retire
from this role, though it has never been an official role in the
project. (This actually seems to be a deeply-ingrained personality
trait of yours, so don't you change there, ever, until the day you
die, you hear me? *poke*)

Well, I guess now is the time for you to watch the changing of the
guards, so sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

/me salutes to Mike#1

To everyone else reading this:

Hi! _o/

After a few months as X2Go's Lead Evangelist, I, Stefan Baur, am now
assuming command of the project as the new Project and Community
Coordinator.  There's this quote from the Spiderman comics/movies that
"with great power comes great responsibility", so here's a big THANK
YOU to Mike#1, Heinz, Alex, and the rest of the "inner circle" for
entrusting me with this role.  It is a huge compliment and I feel
flattered and honored that you unanimously supported the decision.

Heinz-M. Graesing (h1) will be in charge of development coordination,
and we will probably share the role of release manager, at least until
it is filled by someone else - and maybe we will actually make two roles
out of it, that is still to be discussed.

We have quite a few ideas on how to advance the project further, and
will inform you of them shortly.  Please allow for some more time as we
settle in, agree on things, and write them down for everyone to see.
The plan is to have a few additional Wiki pages up soon where you will
be able to read up on what our plans are.  As soon as they are up, their
URLs will be announced on the lists.

Now, before anybody starts to worry (especially if you are - or are
considerung to become - a sponsor) about the results of these changes,
I would like to point out the following two key items:

1) We will continue the project in the spirit of its founders and make
   sure it is at least as actively maintained as it currently is.  In
   fact, there are plans to turn one of our current volunteer
   developers (Mihai "ionic" Moldovan) into a part-time, paid
   developer, thanks to a generous offer from a sponsor that so far
   wishes to remain anonymous.

2) Also, I would like to mention that X2Go will remain free (F/LOSS,
   GPL), as it has always been.  We *will* try to professionalize a few
   aspects about how the project is *managed*, to make it easier for
   potential sponsors to financially support the project, but we will
   *not* sell out and pull a fast one on you, like certain companies
   did.

Let me close this announcement by stating that even though I have
inherited quite a few responsibilities with my new role, I will not
forget that I also am the X2Go Lead Evangelist, so I will remain
focused on making X2Go more popular.

Stay tuned!

Signed,

Stefan Baur
X2Go Lead Evangelist and now also Project and Community Coordinator
- --