[X2Go-User] Shifting my focus in X2Go

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Sun Jan 11 07:39:34 CET 2015

On 10.01.2015 11:47 PM, Robert Dinse wrote:
> Actually I think it's not documented as a bug because it's being
> considered a feature or just the way it works.

Reading all that, it probably is.

> However, with OpenNX or NoMachine Player, you can go full screen without
> enabling the full screen support on the X server.  The advantage of
> this is
> that you can still switch desktops, so if you're someone like me who
> has half
> a dozen sessions up to different servers, I can readily switch
> desktops with
> the ALT arrows (or in Linux CTRL-ALT arrows).

Does the NoMachine Player even use normal X11/XQuartz? I think it might
ship an integrated server, custom-tailored to their needs.

> With X2Go, on MacOS to go full screen you have to enable full screen on
> the XQuartz X-server and when you do that MacOS virtual desktops cease to
> function so you can only have one session up at a time.  Also any
> other windows end up shoing up on top of your remote session which is
> confusing.

True. The only workaround seem to be specifying a full screen session
and go along with the still visible menu bar. Without the XQuartz full
screen option. You do can switch between windows/sessions via the X11
menu bar -> Window -> ... though. Is this not an option for you?

> With Remmina and the NX plug-in, normally the control-alt arrow keys
> still function locally, except that there is a one-pixel pull down at
> the top of the menu where you can push on a little keyboard then all
> the keystrokes go to the remote like X2Go, but you can toggle that
> behavior so if you need to switch desktops you easily can.
>
> The Remmina solution with the toggle I think is really the most elegant
> and would love to see something like that implimented in X2Go.

X2Go does however not control/ship the X server. If anything, this could
be implemented in the NX window only, but that sounds like A LOT of work
for little benefit. (Say, a drop-down menu "above" all the remote stuff
which can be pulled down or hidden.)

Mihai