[X2Go-User] x2go client side printing

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sat Jan 10 09:39:13 CET 2015

HI Robert, hi Stefan,

On  Sa 10 Jan 2015 04:08:40 CET, Stefan Baur wrote:

> Am 10.01.2015 um 02:44 schrieb Robert Dinse:
>>
>> Ah did that and now it works great.  Only one thing, when enabled,
>> if I do a 'df' in an xterm, it hangs indefinitely.  With client
>> side printing disabled, it doesn't.  It seems to hang on the fuse
>> file system.  Beyond that I wish fuse weren't necessary since I'm
>> using x2go in a commercial shell server environment where I have
>> over 500 users. Additing each to the fuse group is not really
>> practical.

Use pam_group.so with /etc/security/group.conf. With that, you can
push (e.g. LDAP) users temporarily into system groups (or other
groups) once they log in. Only that login shell "thinks" that those
user are in those groups, they don't get added into /etc/group or such.

> Not wanting to add users to the fuse group (because I don't want them
> to be able to use the file sharing) is why I developed my workaround.
> (See other post.)
>
> @Mike#1: Do you think we should open a wishlist bug to integrate my
> workaround with x2goclient and its ssh tunneling?
> IMO, my workaround is actually the "cleaner" way of printing through
> X2Go, but it might require some changes to cups-x2go and some
> server-side logic for a flawless integration.

@Stefan: I have re-read your suggestion about tunneling LPR/LPD-like
traffic. I don't think we should follow that road in X2Go because:

   o adding another SSH tunnel to the X2Go session DB is a PITA I have
just gone through for telekinesis.
   o (actually, using telekinesis maybe an approach of the future...)
   o people on the client-side are required to do additional steps
(intalling lpd from the Windows CD e.g.)
   o people on the CUPS server have to deal with the client-side
printer drivers

I think, that the current concept of remote printing is quite ok in
these respects:

   o create a printable file on the server-side that can be handled by
all sorts of clients
   o print that file on the client with the hardware/printer-drivers
of the client

The only question is: is fuse/sshfs the best way of shoving that
printable over to the client...

mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31