[X2Go-User] x2go on RHEL7/CentOS7

Robert Dinse nanook at eskimo.com
Wed Aug 5 20:35:00 CEST 2015

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015, Paul Raines wrote:

> We have been using x2go fairly successful on CentOS6 machines now
> for a while.  We are investigating upgrading to CentOS7 and I
> am now looking at the x2go situation
>
> We get our x2go RPMS from EPEL
>
> x2goagent-3.5.0.31-1.el7.x86_64
> x2goclient-4.0.3.1-1.el7.x86_64
> x2goserver-4.0.1.19-3.el7.x86_64
> x2godesktopsharing-3.1.1.1-1.el7.x86_64
>
> So far we have not discovered
>
>  1) doesn't work at all with GNOME desktop giving the "Oops" screen.
> 	Web search seems to imply this is a known issue with GNOME3
> 	with no real solution though I am suprised this is not
> 	mentioned in the X2Go wiki FAQ.  I hate GNOME3 anyway so
> 	can live without it for X2Go
>
>  2) works partially with the KDE desktop. There is the kscreen
> 	issue that is mentioned in the FAQ.  Really unusable unless
> 	one does disable kscreen.  Need to investigate further what
> 	consequences that has on normal logins.
>
>  3) installed MATE from EPEL.  On first login it looks and works great
> 	but when you "Logout ..." to terminate the session it just hangs
> 	on a blank background.  If you "suspend" the session via force
> 	closing the window and then try to reconnect it fails or just
> 	takes you right back to the blank background.  One can force
> 	terminate the session with x2goterminate-session to clear it out
> 	and then get a clean login again, but I don't really want my
> 	users having to go though this.
>
> So my question is really about the MATE issue which I would prefer to use.
> Anyone have any clues as to what might be going on or a fix?

      I'm not sure if it's Mate or X2Go but when I first installed both X2Go and
Mate on CentOS7 and tested, all was good.

      Now it's broken for me also but somewhat differently.  When I logout it
just hangs with the background image that I used on my desktop.  So I use
control-alt-M to and then click on the white seal or whatever that animal is,
and then when I get the start-up screen back, I select terminate to terminate
the session.

      Now I tried the same thing on Scientific Linux 7, which like Centos7 is
derived from Enterprise Linux 7, and it still works correctly, so whatever is
broken isn't X2Go or Mate, but rather something specific to CentOS 7.