[X2Go-User] X2go Xfce4 Yosimite

Robert Dinse nanook at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 29 05:42:54 CEST 2015

      I've got kind of a strange situation I'm hoping someone might be able to
help me troubleshoot.

      I've got a Ubuntu 14.04 server with a variety of Desktops including
KDE, Xfce, and Mate.

      From my Ubuntu 14.10 Linux box, I can use X2go to connect to the Ubuntu
server using any of the above.  However, from a Mac running Yosimite 10.10.3,
X2go just gets a black screen on the Ubuntu server using exactly the same
account that works from my Ubuntu workstation.  The Mac however can use the
Mate desktop just fine.

      This kind of breaks my normal troubleshooting paradigm of substitute
components until you determine which one is defective because in this case,
the Mac works with Mate but not xfce, my Ubuntu box works with both.

      If the Mac was bad, it should be broken for both desktops I would think.
If the xfce installation or x2go server was broken, it should be broken for
both the Mac and my Linux box.

      On the Mac when you login using xfce you just got a black screen (like
you would using a Desktop with a compositing window manager) but it works fine
from my Ubuntu box so that's not the issue.