[X2Go-User] X authorization issues

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Fri Apr 10 01:41:02 CEST 2015

On 10.04.2015 12:53 AM, Michael DePaulo wrote:
> This brings up an issue with our documentation though. We should
> document (probably on our wiki) that a user's .bashrc / .profile /
> .bash_profile file can interfere with X2Go. Perhaps we should update
> the error message in x2goclient also.

Well... this coin has two sides, as always.

X2Go Server's Xsession script sources ${HOME}/.profile. The "default"
Xsession script provided in Debian as /etc/X11/Xsession does not. On the
other hand, GDM, LightDM and other login managers would have been
running into the same problem and not been able to start any desktop
environment, because they all also source ~/.profile.

Doing questionable stuff in ~/.*profile or ~/.*rc will always lead to
problems. But putting that on the wiki is like adding "Deleting
/etc/passwd might cause problems with X2Go" there. It sure will - but
that's not an insulated X2Go problem.

Mihai