[X2Go-User] Connection Failed?

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Fri Sep 26 17:40:42 CEST 2014

Hi, Tom!

first of all, I couldn't help but notice that you're a Verizon
employee.  A short while ago, a co-worker of yours, Patrick S.
Mullaley, asked for our ECCN (this was over on our X2Go-Dev mailing list).
Our understanding is that we're exempt from this as per the General
Software Note (GSN).  Sadly, we haven't heard back from Patrick yet -
he wanted to check back with Verizon legal.

Since you're using/evaluating X2Go now, can we assume your legal
department agreed and our interpretation of the law was right, so
Verizon may officially use X2Go now?
If not, you might want to check back with Patrick and your legal
department - we'd hate seeing you lose your job or face reprimands
just because you tried out our fine software. ;-)

Now, regarding your specific problem, you wrote:

> Just started to use x2go on a Fedora system here. The system
> crashed and the client can no longer connect to the server. It
> gets:

> Connection failed tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified

> Been doing lots of searches on this, but  didn’t come back with
> anything. Is there a way to clear this problem? How can I reset a
> connection? Thanks for any help in advance.

I guess we will need a bit more information from you to debug this.

1) What version of Fedora are you running?

2) What exactly happened when your system "crashed"?
   Did the X2Go session break, did the entire server come to a
   standstill and require a reboot, did you have a sudden
   power loss, a hard disk crash, an issue with the package management
   system?
   (This is so that we have an approximate idea in what state the
   server might be, and if reinstalling the X2Go packages and/or
   starting with a fresh default config might help.)

3) What are the client settings you are using to connect?  Feel free
   to post the content of your "sessions" file or provide us with
   links to screenshots showing your connection settings. You can
   replace the host name and file names to public key files etc.
   with dummy values, of course.

4) Have you tried connecting with different client settings, for
   example specifying a single XTERM window instead of a full screen
   desktop environment (or in case you were trying to run XTERM, try
   another application like a web browser maybe)?

5) Have you tried connecting from a different client computer, so
   as to rule out that the problem is actually caused on client
   rather than the server?

If it is a Fedora thing, I'm sure Mike#2 will be just around the
corner to offer some helpful advice, once we know more details. ;-)

- -Stefan

- --