[X2Go-User] Stopping a session from suspending on disconnect

Martyn Welch martyn.welch at ge.com
Wed Sep 17 12:21:10 CEST 2014

Ooh, this is embarrassing...

On 16/09/14 15:41, Stefan Baur wrote:

> Am 16.09.2014 um 12:01 schrieb Martyn Welch:
>> X2go is generally working well as a replacement (thanks guys!),
>> however one complaint that I'm getting from users is that x2go
>> suspends sessions on disconnect. Some users have graphical tools
>> that they are kicking off to run long tasks and want to disconnect,
>> leaving the task to complete (for example, over night) without
>> needing the session to be maintained. This was the default
>> behaviour in neatx and hence the behaviour that the users have come
>> to expect (sessions wouldn't suspend on disconnect). Is there any
>> mechanism built into x2go to achieve this?
>
> Are you sure your users actually tried that out and aren't just
> mislead by the expression "suspend"?  In fact, it is more like "detach".
> You detach the X2Go session, and the virtual screen on the server
> remains running, so you can re-attach at any time.

I'd had a few guys independently raise this with me and hadn't actually
tested it (it didn't seem unlikely and the "suspend" terminology made it
seem plausible).

A quick test running a loop in a terminal kinda proved that they were
wrong...

For anyone reading this in the archive, try:

  i=0; while [ 1 ]; do echo Count $i; let i=$i+1; sleep 1; done

Leave running and disconnect, log back in after a while, you'll see the
count has increased proportionally with the time that's past. (Or ssh in
separately and watch the PID of the sleep command increment).

Sorry for the noise.

Martyn

> I think there was a piece of code that would let you renice sessions
> that were in a detached state, so they take up less CPU, but I'm not
> sure if that made it to a stable release yet.  Mike#1 might know more.
>
> A full suspend, comparable to a laptop suspend/hibernate, is not
> something X2Go does.
>
> - -Stefan
>
> - --
> BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
> Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
> Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
> Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

Martyn Welch (Lead Software Engineer)  | Registered in England and Wales
GE Intelligent Platforms               | (3828642) at 100 Barbirolli Square
T +44(0)1327322748                     | Manchester, M2 3AB
E martyn.welch at ge.com                  | VAT:GB 927559189