[X2Go-User] Mac OSX and keyboard

sidonie sido.bellot at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 13:57:26 CEST 2014

Paul van der Vlis <paul at ...> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Is X2goclient working on Mac OSX?  I read some messages that there are
> keyboard problems. Not sure they are gone.
>
> Here is such a message, with a link to another message:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/x2go-user-0fE9KPoRgkgATYTw5x5z8w <at>
public.gmane.org/msg00632.html

> When the problem is fixed, is this also the case for the Lenny version
> of X2go?  (I have a customer with Macs who does not want to upgrade
> because the office will be closed in a few months.)
>
> With regards,
> Paul van der Vlis.

Hi,

After one day struggling I could make it (thanks to Ricardo Diaz from this
list) so maybe this can help some of you:

I installed X2go 3.99 to be found here :
http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-macosx/x2goclient/releases/ on Mac OSX
10.6.8

I installed kubuntu on my Ubuntu 14.04 Amazon Ec2 instance (thanks to
http://www.enqlu.com/2014/03/how-to-install-kde-4-12-on-ubuntu-14-04-lts.html):
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Then I installed X2Go on the instance following the directions of the X2Go
website:
sudo apt-get install python-software-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:x2go/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install x2goserver x2goserver-xsession

However, I had to replace the first line by :
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
(thanks to :
http://askubuntu.com/questions/422975/e-package-python-software-properties-has-no-installation-candidate)

Finally I configured a new X2Go session from the Mac, using the login and
key I have for this particular instance, and leaving the default settings of
the keyboard, which were "us" and "pc105/us" although my Mac keyboard is
german...

As a result, I could connect to the instance and the keyboard works, it is
german even in the remote desktop.

Good luck!