[X2Go-User] Changing the X2Go Client for Windows version numbering

James M. Pulver jmp242 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 20 14:27:40 CEST 2014

Personally, I don't love either build numbering method. That said, I find the date suffix much harder to parse personally, it's too many numbers munged together and I just end up ignoring it.

What do you all mean by the numbering anyway - i.e. why would
4.0.3.0+hotfix1
Not be 4.0.3.1?

Personally, from a Windows admin / user perspective, I don't care what the build process is in terms of a binary I download. I care if something changed.

So if 4.0.3.0+build1 changed the version of gcc but didn't change the output, I doubt anyone would care - maybe somewhere would be a build # for deep debugging, but it wouldn't be in any download name someone would use.

If 4.0.3.0+build2 packaged a new library that fixed a bug, I'd expect to see
4.0.3.1 again as it fixed something "in the product" from my perspective.

I'm a fan of MajorChange.MinorFeatureChange.Bugfix.someotherchange sort of software numbering.

That all said - I would like to see the numbering be consistent across platforms in terms of code that is shared, and the method also be consistent.
--
James Pulver
CLASSE Computer Group