[X2Go-User] Client Wish List

Robert Dinse nanook at eskimo.com
Sat Oct 18 21:57:22 CEST 2014

      I use X2Go for remote administration and I originate on several different
platforms, most often Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, but also from MacOS 10.7.5 and from
Windows XP.  I also use X2Go to allow my customers remote desktop access to our
shell servers.

      The X2Go client differs in behavior from other NX type clients in that
on systems with virtual desktops or workspaces, they keyboard sequence used
to switch workspaces, control+arrow key in the case of MacOS or
control+alt+arrow key in the case of Ubuntu, do not work within the client,
so when I have the client full-screened, I can't switch workspaces except by
first minimizing the client.  With OpenNX, NoMachine Player, or Remmina, I can
use the keyboard short-cuts to switch work spaces without minimizing the client
and that is much more convenient.

      Then on Mac there are further problems.  On MacOS 10.7.5, without XQuarts,
X2Go Client is completely unusable.  Keyboard translations are severely messed
up and it is unstable and usually dies or locks up within fifteen seconds.

      With XQuartz installed, behavior is much better, keyboard translation is
correct with one exception, the state of CAPS LOCK is inverted, that is, when
CAPS LOCK is on, I get upper and lower case characters, when it is off, I get
UPPER CASE only.  It's a minor nusiance and most notable when switching between
X2Go client and other windows where I have to keep toggling the CAPS LOCK.

      Another behaviorial issue with MacOS is that it will only do full screen
if I enable the X-server root window, however this breaks many things MacOS,
and so it is essentially not usable in full screen.  I do not have to do this
with other NX clients, they all go full screen without using the root window
and would very much desire this behavior also with X2Go client.

      On MacOS, sound does not work.  It works on Windows and Linux fine, but
not MacOS 10.7.5.  It doesn't produce any errors, but doesn't produce any sound
either.  There are no choices for audio subsystems so nothing to attempt to
tweak.

      This isn't a bitch list, just a wish list.  I really appreciate the work
you folks have put into X2Go, aesthetically, I find it far superior to
NoMachine, it also connects far more reliably, and working sound is nice.

      I've got the server end working on Centos 6, Centos 7, Fedora 20,
Scientific Linux 6, Scientific Linux 7, OpenSuse, Mint, Ubuntu, and until very
recently Debian Wheezy.  I've also got freenx-server working on all of these
except Debian.  For those of you who have experienced problems with the newer
distributions move to compositing window managers that don't work with X2Go,
check out mate-desktop.org.  Mate is a fork of gnome2 that works perfectly with
X2Go and all of the above mentioned Linux distros.