[X2Go-User] ubuntu 14.04 desktop black screen on connect

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 15:12:19 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 6:19 AM, Cristina Tanzi Tolenti
<cristina.tanzitolenti at provincia.cremona.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> I install x2goserver on my new desktop Ubuntu 14.04 (gnome-shell) and I
> would like to connect it with another Ubuntu or Windows over my lan. I
> choose gnome as session and when I try to connect I obtain a black screen.
> Help me please!! :-)
> Thanks
> Cristina

Hi Cristina,

Sorry that you are running into the issue.

1st of all, because you are on Ubuntu 14.04, it would be easiest if
you would use a desktop environment other than GNOME3 or UNITY. KDE,
XFCE and LXDE are included in Ubuntu 14.04 and work fine with X2Go.
You can also install MATE (the fork of GNOME2) from
http://mate-desktop.org/ . There are other desktop environments that I
haven't listed.

However, it is possible to make GNOME3 work on Ubuntu 14.04. GNOME3
will use gnome-panel, not gnome-shell. There will also be bugs. For
example, the desktop wallpaper does not show up

The email is not showing up on lists.x2go.org or gmane.org, but Eugene
San sent the email forwarded below with the currently available fix
for GNOME3.

His email is written from a developer's perspective. So below are user
instructions I just wrote that you can follow.

1. Add this PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~eugenesan/+archive/ppa?field.series_filter=trusty
2. Install all available updates from the PPA (if need be, I can
narrow down which exact packages you need to update.)
3. Install the following packages:
gnome-panel gnome-applets gnome-session-flashback
4. create the file /usr/local/bin/gnome-flashback.sh with the
following contents:
gnome-session --session=gnome-flashback
5. Make that file executable
6. In X2Go Client's session preferences, specify a "custom desktop"
with the following "command":
gnome-flashback.sh

Steps 1-2 are due to a bug in Ubuntu that we hope to fix soon. (The
bug is that gnome-session checks for 3D acceleration, even though
gnome-flashback doesn't require it.)

Step 3 will be required until we develop an easier solution for
installing those packages. We are thinking of creating a metapackage
that depends on them.

Steps 4-6 are due to a bug in x2goserver that has already been fixed
in our git repo. When x2goserver 4.0.1.16 is released, it will contain
the fix, and you will merely need to select "GNOME" as the session
type in X2Go Client instead.

-Mike