[X2Go-User] X2Go-User Digest, Vol 43, Issue 21

Nigra Truo nigratruo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 12:27:13 CET 2014

> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:25:04 +0100
> From: "GZ Nianguan E.T." <opensource at gznianguan.com>
> To: x2go-user at lists.berlios.de
> Subject: Re: [X2Go-User] Running Blender 3d in X2go
>
> Hi,
>
> May I ask what's your particular use case for Blender3D via X2Go?
> I cant imagine working on 3D modelling via X2Go being a very productive
> solution.
>
> If your just using remote machine for render and not design... there is
> better ways to do that... from the command line.
> We got some code laying around somewhere, for blander render clusters...
> though its a bit old and I'm not sure if it works even with the current
> version of blender... Though if that's what you need shoot me a private
> e-mail and I'll see if we can help you out.
>

> -GZNGET

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I indeed do network rendering. I'm using the official
network rendering plugin of Blender.
It allows to set a master server, that coordinates all the rendering
effort. Then you set slaves that do the actual rendering and connect to the
master. Then, from a blender instance set to client, you can send render
requests to the master and that then distributes it around to the slaves.
I have some GPUs sitting around that I want to attach to x2go servers and
use them as slaves.

So you run at least 3 instances of blender with these 3 different roles.
The configuration in Blender for this cannot be done on the command line so
far (the render script is still marked as experimental) and for this I need
to start up blender with the interface, which I cannot.

I did setup some .blend files that are set on master and slave to run these
via the command line, but that no longer works for some reason. It might be
that the config got changed, but I cannot even get into the GUI to check.

The funny thing is that before I had the ATI card in the X2go server, it
worked flawlessly. The GUI rendering was not fluid, but pretty usable.
Now that I installed the proprietary drivers on it and X is running on the
server (a strange requirement in order to use GPU rendering at all),
blender segfaults.

I would be interested in the rendering script that you might have, but I
won't be able to use it if I cannot set the configuration on the server to
use the right compute device, and so far it looks like blender, as GUI
program does not offer the full configuration options on the command line.

Thanks,

Markus