[X2Go-User] RHEL 7 beta

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 05:04:02 CET 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 8:45 PM, GZ Nianguan E.T.
<opensource at gznianguan.com> wrote:

> If your talking about Sonys DLNA pet project...

And Microsoft media server/player/extender/xbox and a few hundred
other things...

> Thats mainly consumer oriented, and mostly used at home where you have only
> one or few clients...   And when indeed it does do transcoding its usually
> with the aid of hardware acceleration.... and most devices with support for
> hardware accelerated on the fly transcoding only support one concurrent
> stream.... and if anything supports multiple streams its certainly still a
> very limited amount of streams...

The transcoding part is optional, and only done where the player
couldn't otherwise work at all.  In terms of a DLNA server just
tossing streams to clients that don't require transcoding, the network
activity should be about the same as what you'll have to do.

> Anyway the use case for DLNA stuff is a bit different than the use case for
> mTelePlayer.... The mTelePlayer main goal is to bring decent video
> performance to the X2Go desktop on thin clients, not to be a media server in
> the same arena as the DLNA stuff....

I just like things that follow standards and interoperate...  And the
case of using a DLNA controller to say 'play to' a display device
seems remarkably similar to what the x2go server will have to do to
the displaying app in the client.

> Currently you would not want to be using a thin X2Go client as your media
> box in the living room...
> Though we have no intention to push into your living room,  a thin X2Go
> client with mTelePlayer would work quite well to extend your desktop
> computer into your livingroom.

Having a cheap device that could do both at every TV in the house
sounds attractive to me, although realistically it would probably make
more sense to just run vlc locally with local controls and access
files over the network or from a DLNA server.

> As for tunneling....
> The default thing is always to go through the X2Go tunnels.
> But mTelePlayer is situational aware.. and try to adapt to give you the best
> possible viewing experience at all times....
> That being said, security policies set by the admin, overrides your desire
> to watch Game of Thrones at decent frame-rates...

I'd expect ssh encryption of those 50 streams to be a problem at the
bandwidth you need for quality.

> I think the purpose of mTelePlayer will be more clear once we release some
> more demo videos and the actual player it self...

I do get the idea.  I'm just thinking more in terms of a TV-connected
media player.   Maybe Apple or Google TV will get that right
eventually.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com