[X2Go-User] x2go, GLX option

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda leo at alaxarxa.net
Mon Jul 21 18:41:10 CEST 2014

A Diumenge, 20 de juliol de 2014, Michael DePaulo va escriure:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
> <leo at alaxarxa.net> wrote:
> > A Dijous, 17 de juliol de 2014, Michael DePaulo va escriure:
> [...]
> > that

> > :5

> >> We've disabled GLX by default because It causes many applications to
> >> not work. The reason is that our "X server", nxagent 3.5.0.x, is based
> >> on X.org 6.9, from 2005. Therefore, nxagent implements a very old
> >> version of the GLX protocol. Many apps try to use it, but require a
> >> newer version of the GLX protocol, and thus fail.
> >> You can read more about this problem here:
> >> http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:de-compat
> >> (I just wrote that wiki page yesterday. Feedback is welcome.)
> >
> > well, in my case there's no a problem of desktop, it's of application. So,
the
> > wiki is too much desktop centric. You asked feedback ....
> >>
> >> Does gazebo require 3D acceleration?
> >
> > yes ... if relays in OGRE libs.
> >
> >> If not, try running it with GLX
> >> disabled. If you are still having trouble running it, let me know and
> >> I'll test gazebo on a KVM/virt-manager Ubuntu 12.04 VM at my home.
> >
> > I will send you in private a virt machine to test.
>
> Good news and bad news.

:-)

> Bad News:
>
> It looks like nxagent (and therefore X2Go) is too old to run OGRE apps
> linked against Ubuntu 12.04's libraries. Maybe it could be recompiled
> against older x server libs and run, but I don't have time to try that
> .
>
> I also was unable to run it under cygwin X11 for some reason.

Ok, so as you said, the problem is the nxagent is too old.

> Good News:
>
> I was able to run Gazebo and the OGRE's "SampleBrowser" under KVM &
> virt-manager using SPICE and QXL. I am not sure if my host system was
> providing the new (experimantal) virtio-gpu or not. The OGRE
> SampleBrowser ran surprisingly well.

so, may I understand that you connect remotely to the host and run virt-
manager and then visualize the box?

> I successfully did this on both your VM and a VM i created with the
> original 12.04 HWE stack.
>
> On your VM, i first ran this command to make sure that the 13.10 HWE X
> server and X libraries are installed. You have a bunch of 12.04 HWE X
> libraries installed, but they are not supported with the 13.10 kernel
> that you have (kernel 3.11).

> sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-saucy
> xserver-xorg-lts-saucy libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-saucy

Ok

> To run the OGRE SampleBrowser, I ran this package installation command:
>
> sudo apt-get install ogre-samples ogre-tools ogre-doc
>
> Then just run:
> SampleBrowser
>
> Screenshots (from my VM, but your's worked too):
> http://imgur.com/a/zwPz9

Done, worked with virt-manager but not connecting with x2goclient.

> My system:
> Host: Fedora 20 64-bit with all the latest updates.
> Guest: Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit with original 12.04 HWE stack. Packages
> installed include: xubuntu-desktop spice-vdagent libtxc-dxtn-s2tc
> Client: virt-viewer 0.6.0 64-bit on Windows
>
> Other notes: On my VM, I installed spice-vdagent. This caused MATE
> 1.6.0 (from the mate-desktop.org) repo to fail to launch, but it XFCE
> still worked. On your VM, it is not installed.

it runs Unity.

> Also, remember that to enable remote SPICE displays, you have to set
> the settings on the "Display" in virt-manager. You may have to remove
> and add the display for those settings to be adjusted.

well, I'm I bit lost. I have configured in the host the spice and qxl. I runs
better than using the default VGA, cyrrus.

Otherwise, I think that I cannot use X2Go here :-( I'm searching another
solutions.

Just, for curiosity, X2Go will be ready to use with wayland?

Regards,

Leopold

Linux User 152692     PGP: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia