[X2Go-User] x2go & firefox, overload + lockups

Carl x2golist at robotnetwork.org
Mon Jan 6 20:31:38 CET 2014

Hi Stefan,

> [Firefox slowing down X2Go session]
>> Does anyone have any input on this? Advice? Should I report a bug?
>
> I think it would be interesting to see what happens if you log in via
> SSH and run "top -i" there. Then, when your session starts to act up,

If I do that, I can see that Firefox and x2goagent uses about 15%-25%
CPU each, but on a rather powerful 2 CPU/4 it's not enough to hog the
machine - other users and processes seem to run rather unaffected.

> Also, you could try to run an un-accellerated session, with SSH and
> plain X forwarding through SSH. Note that this will be slower than X2Go
> from the very beginning, even without Firefox acting up.
> If you can reproduce the issue with un-accellerated X, it's clearly a
> Firefox bug, IMHO.

Good test, thanks. I've done this now, and the results are a little
confusing. With network speed set to lan and image compression disabled,
it is definitely better, although video suffers.

Firefox uses the CPU noticeable still but x2goagent does not.

Firefox slows itself down on these pages, but other applications on my
desktop run fine and if I switch to another viewport/desktop, there
seems to be no impact from Firefox's troubles.

Given that the issue still appears, I think you are right about it being
a Firefox issue. Maybe x2go could handle it smoother, but it's still
just a weird scenario so I think I'll report this as a bug to Mozilla
only (if I can work out how to use their bug reporting).

Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Carl