[X2Go-User] x2go & firefox, overload + lockups

Carl x2golist at robotnetwork.org
Mon Jan 6 19:29:54 CET 2014

Hello,

I do all my work through x2go (central XFCE desktop server for the
company) and I run the nightly Firefox builds.

Certain web pages lead to my entire desktop turning extremely slow,
sometimes completely unworkable. This is with only a wireless lan
between my terminal and the x2go server.

I understand there's a problem with Firefox here, probably generating
too many x events (guess) or similar.

However, it doesn't seem like x2go is working optimally when a single
application can spoil the whole desktop like this (even when the windows
are on a different workspace or minimized). The solution is simply to
close Firefox when the desktop grinds to a halt (a few times per day).

As one of the pages it happened on was our own web page, I looked at the
web code to try to track down the problem, and it was bizarrely
triggered when many objects on the web page had the background-size
property set to 100% in CSS, so there's definitely a Firefox issue involved.

However, I'd like to work out if I can tune x2go to handle this better.

I thought, based on how NX worked, that events were handled locally on
the server and only sent across the link when needed. I can't confirm if
this is involved, but it certainly seems like something can be improved
as windows that are not shown shouldn't, reasonably, be able to interfere.

Does anyone have any input on this? Advice? Should I report a bug?

Many thanks.

Regards,
Carl