[X2Go-User] X2Go Server Sources .profile

Robert Dinse nanook at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 8 11:10:28 CET 2014

      I ran into a strange problem with a customer who when they logged in using
x2goclient, would be logged out again three seconds later.

      I changed their password so I could login as them and was able to
reproduce the problem using the same x2goclient I use to login.  I tried an
NX client, Remmina, to eliminate potential issues with KDE or the customers
setup, Remmina logged in using NX fine (I have both freenx and x2goserver
on all my shell servers).

      This problem existed on both a Centos6 server and a Debian Wheezy server.

      What was bringing X2Go turned out to be a sample .profile that we
installed in 2003 that contained some bad paths.  However, this customer was
using csh as their login shell so their login shell wasn't sourcing .profile,
and this wasn't a problem with NX only X2Go.

      I'm curious why X2Go server would source .profile and if there is a
simple way to prevent it from doing so?