[X2Go-User] FYI about X2Go Client for Windows 4.0.2.1+hotfix1+build2 and bug #564

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 05:42:35 CEST 2014

TLDR: I released X2Go Client for Windows 4.0.2.1+hotfix1+build2 in
order to update the bundled openssl to 1.0.1i (security fixes), but
bug #564 was introduced and it is bad enough that I do not recommend
using it yet. Continue to use 4.0.2.1+hotfix1.
X2Go Devs, I also want to know if I should announce the release anyway
on x2go-announcements.

So I released X2Go Client for Windows 4.0.2.1+hotfix1+build2 in the
sense that I did the following:
1. Uploaded it to
http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/x2goclient/releases/4.0.2.1+hotfix1+build2/
2. Generated the .md5 and .sha1 files

However, I did not do the following yet:
1. Announce it on x2go-announcements
(I'm not sure if I should announce it or not yet.)
2. Update the wiki page
http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:release-notes-mswin:x2goclient-4.0.2.1
(I'll do so tomorrow, I need to get some lseep now.)

I haven't announced it yet because I discovered bug #564 while testing it
http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=564

As I explained in the bug report, I am shocked that a regression like
this was introduced because I thought that openssl 1.0.1* updates were
very unlikely to introduce regressions. And I thought that there was
never a need to recompile anything due to these updates. (If 1.0.2 or
1.1.0 came out, then there would be a need to recompile.) This is why
I didn't test the updated build of x2goclient before posting it to
code.x2go.org/releases/ .

I will look into this further tomorrow. In the meantime, I recommend
staying with 4.0.2.1+hotfix1 until I fix this bug (or someone else
fixes it.)

I also want to know if I should announce the release anyway on
x2go-announcements.

-Mike#2