[X2Go-User] No RHEL5 x2goclient?

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Wed Sep 25 12:32:48 CEST 2013

On 9/24/2013 10:34 AM, Kermit Short wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>      Thanks for the reply!  Under normal circumstances, I'd be happy to
> take up the cause for RHEL.  Unfortunately, we're migrating away from
> RHEL for the reasons that are being demonstrated here...nobody has
> intrinsic support for all the RHEL platforms on some of the fancy
> software that people want to use. Debian/Ubuntu/Mint all do have
> intrinsic support, and so we're preparing to move to that platform.  If
> we were staying with RHEL, though, I'd certainly take up a role to help
> out, as I really do love x2go...it's becoming the centerpiece of our
> network based computing environment, and it's giving me a much needed
> Remote Desktop option to replace our SunRay equipment, since Oracle is
> mothballing that technology.
>
> Thanks!
> -Kermit

I'm not sure what the definition of "fancy" is here, but yeah RHEL is
not "cutting edge".

FWIW - I am working on getting X2Go into EPEL6 (hitting a bug in RHEL6
that is preventing me from building nx-libs at the moment).  Wasn't
going to pursue EL5 since I don't use that anymore, but it wouldn't take
much more to build for EL5 is someone was interested.

- Orion

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com