[X2Go-User] X2Go client 4.0.0 can't resume certain sessions

John Williams jwilliams4200 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 10:20:23 CET 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Sebastian Flothow
<sebastian.flothow at gip.com> wrote:
> The behavior is as follows: The affected version of the client is able to
> start new sessions, and also resume suspended sessions; however, resuming
> sessions after some delay (a few hours) causes the client to hang. Other
> versions of the client are then still able to resume this session, but even
> when resuming and suspending the session with a working client version,
> attempting to resume the session immediately afterwards in an affected
> client causes it to freeze.
>
> I've tried the following versions so far:
>
> 3.99.2.1 on Linux: works
> 3.99.2.2 on Windows: works (n.b. filename is x2goclient-3.99.2.1-setup.exe)
> 4.0.0.3 on Windows: affected
> 4.0.1.1 on Linux: works
>
> Server side versions are:
> x2goagent: 3.5.0.21
> x2goserver: 4.0.1.6
> x2goserver-xsession: 4.0.1.6
>

> Can anybody confirm that this is something which has been fixed in client
> 4.0.1? If so, when is there going to be a 4.0.1 client for Windows? (In the
> meantime, we're downgrading our Windows users to 3.99.)

I spent some time testing several versions of the Windows client, and
I can confirm the behavior you mention, and add a few more versions:

Note that the problem is somewhat intermittent. Waiting a few hours to
resume a session makes it more likely to hang during connection, but
it does not always hang. So I spent some time with each version,
repeatedly trying to resume sesssions, sometimes immediately,
sometimes after the session has been suspended for hours. When I say
it "works" I mean that I never got it to hang. When I say that it
hangs, I mean that it hung at least once (usually more than once,
though).

Linux server:
x2go-agent 3.5.0.21
x2goserver 4.0.1.6

Windows client:
3.99.2.1 filename (3.99.2.2 about box): works
3.99.3.1-pre1_interims (old pulseaudio): hangs
4.0.0.3: hangs
4.0.0.3_interims (old pulseaudio): hangs
4.0.1.0-pre02 : hangs

So it appears that this issue was introduced between
3.99.2.1(3.99.2.2) and 3.99.3.1-pre1. Also, it does NOT appear to be a
consequence of the new pulseaudio version, since the old interims
version has the same issue.

Perhaps the program maintainer can check the changelog between then
and deduce what is causing the intermittent hang during connection
issue.