[X2Go-User] Is it possible to run the X2Go PXE Server (for X2Go TCE) in a Linux-VServer environment?

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Tue Nov 26 09:50:37 CET 2013

Hi list,

I tried to install the X2Go PXE Server in a VServer environment.

This failed for several reasons:
1) Linux-VServer isn't included in Wheezy any more, so I had to try it
using Squeeze.
2) The nfs-kernel-server package cannot be installed in a VServer
environment - this is a general limitation of Linux-VServer
(http://linux-vserver.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions_scratch#NFS-server). Said
FAQ and "apt-cache show nfs-kernel-server" point to the packages
nfs-user-server and unfs3 as alternatives. However, in Squeeze, only the
nfs-kernel-server package is available, but neither nfs-user-server nor
unfs3 are available.
3) unfs3 is available in sid, but only for the m68k platform, not for
i386 or amd64.
4) I can't find nfs-user-server anywhere on packages.debian.org (for any
release), which means either the package name is wrong or the package no
longer exists.

So it seems I'm stuck.

Other PXE boot solutions use http/ftp instead of nfs and pass along the
client root file system as squashfs. I'm not sure if switching to that
method would help much, though, as it means having to load the entire
root file system into the client's RAM. At present, the file system
needs almost 850 MB of space, which would not fit into my clients - they
have between 256 MB and 512 MB.

Any suggestions what I could try next?

-Stefan