[X2Go-User] Latency Issues

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sat Nov 23 23:35:32 CET 2013

Hi Nirav,

On  Sa 23 Nov 2013 22:47:23 CET, Nirav Shah wrote:

> Thanks Steve and Mike for the guidance you have provided. I really
> appreciate your help.
>
> My servers are available in California and the developers are working in
> Europe and in India. So the ping time varies from 150 ms to 400 ms. I have
> selected ADSL with 16m-jpeg connection. The developers are accessing Linux
> environment with GNome. They use some Java 2D graphics for the development.
> Their normal bandwidth (tested using Speedtest.net) is around 3-5 MBPS.
>
> The replies from Mike and Steve, I understood that  for this kind of high
> latency I should use "WAN" connection speed with compression method - "No
> Pack". Is this my understanding correct?

I am really not an expert on this, but you could try that (maybe not
,,No Pack''). On IRC there is a guy called "TheUser". Ask him about
that question once he appears again. He had another WAN based
recommendation that I forgot again.

Using speed = LAN is identical to normal X11 over SSH.

>  I have already set Image quality to 1 and disabled audio/print/shared
> folder support.
>
> I have also used libjpeg-turbo library on the server side (Linux OS).

You should have libjpeg-turbo on the client, as well. But for this you
need an nxproxy that uses the compat libs from libjpeg-turbo. If you
build statically, then you need to build against libjpeg-turbo directly.

> Will this kind of setup work? If I upgrade hardware on my server/client,
> will it make any difference? Can X2go handle this kind of latency issues
> with some settings? Is there any minimum bandwidth required with this
> latency?

All good questions that I do not have an experienced answer for. I
only know that several other people have struggled with this.

mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31