[X2Go-User] 'Connection failed sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected'

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sun Jul 28 01:37:44 CEST 2013

Hi Tom, hi Barnet

On Sa 27 Jul 2013 21:32:02 CEST Tom Harris wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Barnet Wagman <bw at norbl.com> wrote:
>
>>  I received the following error message while attempting to connect:
>>
>>  Connection failed sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

What is the default shell of the connecting user?

>>  x2go had been working correctly. I assume that some shell script got
>> corrupted.  Does anyone know what shells script get calls when x2go
>> connects?  The error appears in a popup window in the x2go client.

>> thanks

> I had seen some problems similar to this in the past when the user account
> used a shell other than bash.   In the Ubuntu I was using, the default
> shell was /bin/sh, which failed.   I also saw tickets regarding issues with
> tcsh.
>
> So, I would confirm you're using /bin/bash and test again.

Please test X2Go Client from a Linux system against the same server.
Use 4.0.1.1 (preview) from the nightly builds. The 4.0.1.1 version has
a --debug cmdline parameter. Activate it and watch the console output
while connecting to that server. Try to locate the debug message that
correlates to the reported Syntax Error and report back to this list.

Thanks.

mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31