[X2Go-User] Session resume fails with AFS home directories

Sebastian Flothow sebastian.flothow at gip.com
Fri Jul 26 15:08:50 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I've just set up a Debian 7 box with X2Go. It does work in that it is
possible to start new sessions, however, resuming a previous session
does not work, it always results in this message: "The remote proxy
closed the connection while negotiating the session. This may be due to
the wrong authentication credentials passed to the server."

I suspect this is due to the fact that home directories are stored in
AFS (for regular users, that is; when logging in as root, whose home
directory is on a local ext4 FS, resume does work). Accessing AFS
requires an AFS token in the user's name, obtaining this in turn
requires a Kerberos ticket. PAM is set up to obtain both automatically
on login, but I guess something goes wrong there during session resume.

Is it possible to add custom commands to the X2Go login/resume
procedure? It would be quite helpful if the client could run klist and
tokens through the ssh session, and either log or display the output.

Thanks,
Sebastian