[X2Go-User] Keyboard mapping issues with Windows client

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Sun Dec 29 20:48:15 CET 2013

@Mike Gabriel

I have broken this out of the thread "[X2Go-User] [newb] display size
ignored".

I wanted to clarify the keyboard mapping issues that I'm seeing. I need,
at least, to connect to a KDE session from a Windows client with a UK
keyboard and from a UK model Mac laptop correctly. When connecting a
Windows KDE session I invariably get a US keyboard layout.

I'm sorry this post is so long, but its all a bit complicated...

My early tests were a bit confusing, I think because the system I'm
connecting to has a system-wide UK keyboard setting. So, sometimes tests
with xterm seem to be working when its just getting a default.

In order to resolve this ambiguity, I've been testing from my Windows
laptop with the keyboard set to French mapping which is not a default
for the system I'm connecting to or for kde.

I've been testing from Windows client 4.01.2 and server  package
x2goserver-4.0.1.9-2.fc20.x86_64 from the Fedora 20 repo.

When I start a single application session (/usr/bin/xterm) the only
setup that seems to get the correct French keyboard mappings is when I
explicitly set the Keyboard layout to fr and the Keyboard model to
pc105/fr. Choosing either auto for the layout or ticking the checkbox
"Keep current keyboard settings" does not result in a French layout. (In
both cases I get a UK keyboard layout which is the system default for
the system I'm connecting to).

Having established how to get the correct keyboard mapping in a plain
xterm I try a kde session with the same client keyboard settings; now I
get a US keyboard layout, which I suspect is a kde default.

I'm doing a setxkbmap -print >& /tmp/temp.lis very early on in
/usr/bin/startkde and I can see that at that point a French keyboard is
set. However, by the time the KDE session is running and I can type into
a konsole I have a US key layout. (Logging in to a KDE session at the
console on this system gets me a UK keyboard as expected).

I thought that maybe KDE is setting its own US keyboard map (or just
defaulting to US) so I took some advice from the Fedora KDE list on how
to stop KDE setting its own keyboard map. However, that had no effect. I
still get the US keyboard map.

So, I think there are at least two problems:

1) For the simple xterm session setting the layout to "auto" or checking
the box "Keep current keyboard settings" is not working.

2) KDE is possibly overriding the already set keyboard map with a US layout.

Is it likely that the nightly Windows client builds will address both
these issues or perhaps just 1)?

Can you confirm that its possible (for you) to get a KDE session with
the correct keyboard mapping that is not the default?

Thanks

Roderick