[X2Go-User] pxe: "Access denied: Authentication that can continue...."

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Tue Dec 24 04:06:53 CET 2013

Am 24.12.2013 02:33, schrieb Luciano Gabriel Andino:
> Hi there)) I am trying to configure x2go/pxe and this is my first question.
>
> I did a clientsession in server and scp transfer to pxe server. PXE
> server is ready, client booted but I can't login cause this message
> appears (in client):
>
> "Access denied: Authentication that can continue...."
>

> while it was possible to login from a linux box. The idea is that a any
> user can access to his account from anyclient. how can I store this
> publickeys?

I'm not sure what went wrong there, but I'm also not quite sure what
you're trying to accomplish. So I've typed down the answers to the three
most likely interpretations of your question that I can come up with. If
none of this matches what your intention is, please rephrase your
question, explain in greater detail what you're trying to accomplish
(expected behavior versus actual behavior), and post again.

--------------------------------

The following is assuming that while you want every user to be able to
use every client, you *do* want authentication (i.e. every user has a
dedicated account that no one else should be using):

1) The easiest way would be using passwords only. You do not HAVE to use
public key files, though of course they provide greater security WHEN -
and ONLY WHEN - implemented and used correctly.

2) If you want to use two-factor authentication, my guess is that you
could either
2a) put the secret keys (the public key of each user needs to be in the
user's home directory, in a subdirectory called ".ssh", and a file named
"authorized_keys", with proper restrictive permissions in place) on a
USB key fob, set up the Thin Client Environment so that it looks for USB
devices and tries to mount them automatically, and have a symlink from
.ssh/id_rsa or id_dsa on the TCE user's home directory on the thin
client point to the mountpoint of the USB device (which needs to contain
a linux filesystem so the permissions work) or
2b) use Smartcard-Based authentication, which requires cards and reader
hardware. This is something I've never used myself, though, so you
should contact one of the core developers (Mike Gabriel seems to be the
most active one these days) about how that works.

--------------------------------

Now, assuming that you don't care about security at all, because you
want everyone to be able to log in as everyone (think Infokiosk), you
could of course dump all the secret keys for your pseudo-users into
id_rsa_something or id_dsa_something files (as above, with proper
restrictive permissions in place), make them part of the TCE NFS image
and reference them in your sessions file - but that is something you
should really only do if you DO NOT NEED NOR WANT ANY SECURITY AT ALL
and are simply looking for a way that users aren't bothered with having
to enter a password.

--------------------------------

If you think you should use Keyfiles AND Passwords to the keyfiles, AND
are looking for a way to centrally store the keyfiles so nobody needs a
USB key fob or smartcard, you are making your system LESS secure than a
password-only solution without keyfiles. So if that was your intent, DO
NOT DO THAT.
The reason is that while you can regularly change passwords on secret
keyfiles, ANY copy of a secret keyfile with a known password WILL ALWAYS
grant access to the account with the matching public keyfile.
So if anybody at any time gets hold of the keyfile AND the then-current
password, changing the password on your keyfile DOES NOT LOCK HIM OUT.
You NEED to generate completely NEW keyfiles in that situation. THIS IS
BAD. So avoid this approach at all costs.

Sorry that this message is rather long, but these are some newbie
mistakes I'm seeing again and again, and I'd like to keep you from
making these mistakes, if only for the sake of your users.

-Stefan