[X2Go-User] Can't open display remotely or locally when using hostname in $DISPLAY

Nick Ingegneri n_ingegneri at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 5 02:53:05 CET 2013

Can anybody assist me with debugging what I am doing wrong in this case?

I am running the X2Go client in Window 7 and the X2Go server on a RedHat 6 machine. I would like to have a remote linux host export the display back to the X2Go server, which would then forward it to the Windows 7 client.

Starting a new X2Go session, this works on the local host:

[user at localmachine ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
:84
[user at localmachine ~]$ xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
[user at localmachine ~]$ xclock
# note - the xclock starts without problems

But on a remote host, I found I could not connect to that display, even with "xhost +" already set:

[user at remotemachine ~]$ setenv DISPLAY localmachine:84
[user at remotemachine ~]$ xclock
Error: Can't open display: localmachine:84
[user at remotemachine ~]$

As an experiment, I tried setting the DISPLAY on localmachine to use the hostname, after which it could not connect to the display:

user at localmachine ~]$ setenv DISPLAY localmachine:84
[user at localmachine ~]$ xclock
Error: Can't open display: localmachine:84
[user at localmachine ~]$ xhost
xhost:  unable to open display "localmachine:84"

I'm probably missing something obvious, but don't have any idea what is misconfigured.

Thanks!