[X2Go-User] Runlevel 5 needed?

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Fri Apr 19 12:33:30 CEST 2013

Hi Markus, hi Jan,

On Fr 19 Apr 2013 07:42:57 CEST Markus Kuderer wrote:

> Am 18.04.2013 12:31, schrieb Mike Gabriel:
>> Hi Markus,
>>
>> On Mi 17 Apr 2013 20:20:43 CEST Markus Kuderer wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> in the installation instructions there is a remark that the server has
>>> to be run runlevel 5 to allow the X2Go server to accept connections.
>>> Why is it like this? Is the local XServer needed for operation? Is
>>> there an easy way to overcome this?
>>
>> Where have you read this? It is wrong IMHO.
>>
>>> Background of my question:
>>> I'm interested in using X2go in our system, but we had to switch to
>>> runlevel 3. Actually we use mainly VNC sessions for remote operation
>>> and these tended to hang up with a "local" XServer running on the server.
>>
>> X2Go Server can be used with any runlevel on the system, if only SSHd is
>> running. X2Go ships its own X-Server (x2goagent/nxagent).

> thank you for your answer. I was already wondering about this.
>
> In this case the problem on our system must be somewhere else. I
> thought it might be not working due to this "simple" reason :-)
>
> I found the remark here:
> http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:installation:x2goserver
> At the bottom of the page, as a "Warning".

@Jan: have you added this sentence [1] to [2]? It seems it only
applies to some RPM based systems. Is the info still valid? Can you
explain why runtime level 5 is required?

Greets,
Mike

[1] Warning: Note that currently the server must be in runlevel 5 to
accept connections.
[2] http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:installation:x2goserver

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31