[X2Go-User] Current Mac x2goclients crash

Clemens Lang neverpanic at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 01:02:35 CEST 2013

Hi,

I am not subscribed to the list, so please Cc me on all repsonses.

> I have attempted to run the 4.0.0.4 and 4.0.1.0 builds of x2goclient
> on my MacBook Pro (OS version 10.7.3).  Both of them crash immediately
> on launch.  When attempting to run from the command line I get illegal
> instruction 4.  Unfortunately, I have not used a Mac long enough to
> know how to troubleshoot this (though I do have an extensive
> UNIX/BSD/Linux background) beyond the basics outlined below.

Can you paste the complete command you're running and its output? I have
not tested my build on a 10.7 system, because I only have a Mountain
Lion box – packages are built against the 10.7 SDK though, so they
should in theory run (however, since I'm using libraries from MacPorts
and those haven't been built for 10.7 there's a chance that this causes
problems).

Illegal instruction sounds like a 32bit vs. 64bit issue, but afaik the
only 32bit-only CPUs Apple shipped with any recent OS X version were
some rather old Mac Minis, so that probably doesn't apply in your case.

The easiest and quickest fix for you, if you already have MacPorts
installed, would be to install the x2goclient port.

> For the 4.0.1.0 build, I have verified the md5 sum matches.  I have the
> .dmg files for the 4.0.1.0 and 3.99.2.1 builds mounted.  One thing I
> notice is that 4.0.x is significantly smaller than 3.99:
>
> /dev/disk1s2                         50272      50272          0   100%
>     /Volumes/x2goclient
> /dev/disk3s2                        223104     188328      34776    85%
>     /Volumes/x2goclient 3.99.2.1
>
> Are the newer builds expected to be this much smaller?  Unpacked, the
> entire dmg for 4.0.x is about 70MB smaller than the actual space used by
> 3.99.x, even with the dmg for 3.99 being somewhat bigger than the amount
> of space required.

I do not know how the 3.x series DMGs were built, but I assume since
those were afaik were universal binaries, that at least the binaries had
double the size. You should not compare the DMG sizes, though, because
the 4.x series uses compression and the 3.x ones might not.

--
Clemens