[X2Go-User] Raspberry Pi and acceleration of X2Go

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue Sep 25 20:45:25 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Di 25 Sep 2012 11:28:24 CEST Pascal d'Hermilly wrote:

> I recently bought a Raspberry pi and have been using it as a thin
> client with X2go with the config script found here:
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13130
>
> While working ok. X seems to max the cpu as soon as you start
> pulling windows around and it the experience is quite laggy.
> I'm looking for solutions for this. The raspberry does not have
> hardware accelerated X yet. Is this what is causing it?
> Is there a way I can use the hardware OpenGLES 2 directly?
>
> At my workplace we are considering x2go for thin clients and were
> looking into using the Raspberry pi as a client :-)

First thing: running x2goclient as root (as described in the above
Raspi forum URL) is not a good idea.

Note that there is an x2gothinclient environment available. If
requested we can make it available for ARMel architecture, as well.
The x2gothinclient package launches an X2Go Client in thin client mode
and it uses a generic user account for that which gets recreated on
every thin client restart.

> What can I do to make it perform better.

You can reduce the NX protocols compression level if you connect via
LAN (by using LAN as network speed, this will reduce any compression
on the NX protocol). Maybe that helps and frees some CPU cycles for X
rendering.

Greets,

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31