[X2Go-User] x2go printing how-to

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue Sep 18 21:45:12 CEST 2012

Hi Ricardo,

On Di 18 Sep 2012 19:30:54 CEST Ricardo Díaz Martín wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if there is step-by-step guide to set up a simple x2go one server
> ubuntu to print from the wan (without using vpn conection).
>
> If you use this guide
> http://www.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:components:printing the server works
> right if you are printing from the same net or connected
> by vpn connection.
>
> What's port have you open in the firewall? Is there some extra
> configuration to do it? I tried opening ports in /usr/bin/x2gostartagent
> (the specified and the next 100 more) but client side doesn't receive the
> file after you print.

X2Go client-side printing as described on the wiki page you named
should work out-of-the-box.

The printing works like this:

1. x2goclient creates a rev port forwarding tunnel (SSH) between server+client

2. x2gomountdirs (server script) mounts an SSHfs share through this
tunnel. It mounts a client-side folder into the home directory of the
user logged on to the X2Go server

3. you print... via a printer using the cups-x2go virtual driver

4. cups-x2go creates a ps file and a job ticket in ~x2goprint of the
X2Go server.

5. the server-side command x2goprint copies the job and ps file to the
SSHfs mounted share (so now, it is on the client side)

6. a watch thread in x2goclient wakes up and notices the incoming
files (job + ps -> actually a compressed PDF)

7. x2goclient opens the printer dialog

Note that you have to enable X2Go printing in the session profile with
x2goclient.

Hope that helps (with debugging).

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31