[X2Go-User] Two new features in X2Go Client

merc1984 at f-m.fm merc1984 at f-m.fm
Thu Sep 6 22:43:08 CEST 2012

--
[1]merc1984 at f-m.fm

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 12:46, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 21:26 +0200, Mike Gabriel wrote:

Hi,

On Do 06 Sep 2012 20:09:48 CEST  wrote:

Please, there are two very basic features that are still missing.

Whenever I have two or more machines to x2go, I have to start two

client sessions. And then those two collide, causing one to crash. The

only way to fix this is to edit /usr/bin/x2gostartagent on one of the

target machines and change SSH_PORT to 30200. It seems that as it

stands now, x2go is intended to be used with only one machine at a

time!

[1][2]merc1984 at f-m.fm

If you are juggling with multiple simultaneous X2Go sessions, the

please try pyhoca-gui. One application instance can handle various

sessions to the same or to many servers.

However, I do not observer what you describe above with multiple

running instances of X2Go Client. Can you describe steps on how to

reproduce the issue?

<snip>

I do and strongly second the motion. We are promoting the concept of

Content Networks to break the paradigm of a user has one PC to do any
of

several jobs and replace it where a project has a content network -

everything needed to create, consume, communicate, and collaborate on

content in a single security context.  Users thus have a virtual PC for

any tasks, e.g., inter-company collaboration, ad agencies, PR firms,

contract engineers, etc.

Thus, one PC may launch several instances of X2Go Client each
connecting

to a different X2Go Server.  Since they are all starting their

connections at port 30000, they collide unless one edits x2gostartagent

on each X2Go Server to ensure they are unique.  That is impractical in

large environment or environments where one may not have control of the

X2Go Server.

Earlier versions of x2goclient (e.g., 3.0.1-5) allowed this but I

suspect it was by accident.  We would really like to see this

functionality restored, i.e., a physical PC can run multiple instances

of x2goclient to different X2Go Servers without manually configuring

each X2Go Server.  Thanks - John

  Also pyhoca-gui does not recognize certificate login, so entering a
  password is necessary, and it does not name the remote machine in
  the taskbar.