[X2Go-User] Two new features in X2Go Client

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Sep 6 16:53:16 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 12:23 +0200, Oleksandr Shneyder wrote:
> Hallo list,
>
> I'm very glad to introduce two new features in X2Go Client.
>
> 1. Direct RDP connection to Windows Terminal Server.
> This feature was sponsored from Mirco Rohloff from "Rohloff AG" -
> http://www.rohloff.de
> With this feature you can open direct RDP connection using installed on
> the client system RDP client program without X2Go proxy. It could be
> useful in mixed environments with both Linux and Windows TS. This
> feature is only available for Linux client. To use it, choose Session
> type "Connect to Windows terminal server" in Session preferences. You
> should also check "Direct RDP Connection". After that you can configure
> additional setting in tab "Settings". In this tab you can choose display
> resolution, RDP client to use and also specify additional command line
> parameters. I suggest to use direct RDP connections only over LAN or VPN
> connections. Over Internet using X2Go proxy is faster and securer.
> You can install X2Go Client-3.99.3.0 which contain this feature from our
> repository "heuler"
<snip>
I'm delighted to see the changes; thank you very much.  I was also
intrigued with Mike's additions of sound and local shares.

While WAN performance using X2Go proxy may have been faster with RDP5 as
found in rdesktop for Linux and the XP Windows RDS client, we have found
that RDP6/7 performance is much faster than X2Go proxy.  This is
available in xfreerdp for Linux and the freely downloadable TSPlus
RDP6/7 client for Windows including Windows XP (www.tsplus.net).  Thanks
again - John