[X2Go-User] Kde4 and Plasma Mess - Is anyone working with it?

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Oct 17 09:43:17 CEST 2012

Hi Helmer,

I tested on KDE4 (4.8.4, Debian sid).

On Di 16 Okt 2012 17:32:03 CEST Helmer Teles wrote:

> As anybody knows KDE4 has lots of problems with sizing and resizing of plasma
> panels, screen geometry and other stuff as usal.

Same with GNOME3 btw.

> So i had to code lots of scripts that take use of x2goserver-run-extensions:
> What these scripts do is resize the plasma-panel and resize the screen
> geometry when resuming a session in case of the resuming is done in another
> Desktop or laptop with a change in resolution.

Please send the scripts to the x2go-dev list. Note: resizing of a
plasma desktop works fine in KDE4 on Debian wheezy/sid.

> My problem is that for plasma to assume the new resolution you have
> to kill it
> and start-it once again after you change plasma-desktop-appletsrc
> with the new
> values. So, when  you do this after resuming the session, every time you
> move/maximize/minimize a window they slow to a crawl.

ahaaaa... this is not so here... Note: there is quite a big difference
between the Ubuntu KDE4 and the Debian KDE4. Ubuntu has (at least one)
xrandr patches that break KDE4 nearly completely with X2Go (KWin
crashes regularly).

> How to test/reproduce this sympton.
>
> If you have a x2goserver installed with a kde4 session, kubuntu or other,
> start a session, go to konsole and do:
>
> kquitapp plasma-desktop &&  plasma-desktop &
>
> after plasma start if you try to move any window around everything will be
> allright and fast as before.

ok...

> After that do the same thing but after a x2gosuspend and in a runing resumed
> session try to move your konsole window around the desktop, it will lag like
> hell.
> If you this on a real display on your laptop, or in a running session
> everything will run fast as before.

Not so here on Debian. It must be some Ubuntu specific issue.

Greets,

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31