[X2Go-User] Questions on possible setups and use cases

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Oct 9 22:01:39 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 21:20:29 +0200 Mike Gabriel
<mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de> wrote:
> On Di 09 Okt 2012 19:01:05 CEST Möri Cedric wrote:
> > We have about 100 potential users, about 10-20 concurrently
> > working with about 100-200 sessions a day. Is it possible to
> > estimate on the resources that are needed on the server?
>
> X2Go supports published applications. You can blend in server-side
> applications into a second menu tree. One session in published
> applications mode is considered as one X2Go session. 10-20 X2Go
> Session should be hostable on one big terminal server (8 cores, 16
> GiB RAM). However, it also depends on the load each user produces.
>
> > Any hints on my questions or a pointer to some docs or use cases
> > would be great!
> > Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> We, for example, use X2Go in public schools and one X2Go server
> handles a class room with ease. X2Go can be very powerful and scales
> really well, but maybe others should report here, as well, as I am
> pretty much biased...

We do have a (virtual) 10Gig, 6core machine for x2go with 6 users. Some
x2go-agents become really big memory-wise. And all the browsers consume
gobs of memory.

And I haven't yet determined if the latency of x2go, the latency of
the home-dirs via nfs or the latency of the os-disk via nfs is the most
significant factor that users are kind of dissatisfied:-(

Probably the added latency of the network-connections between disk-less
clients and server and between the server and its disks. I hope
reducing the later improves things a bit.

Anyway, x2go did actually help us solve some problems and proved to be
a better and more stable environment than the vnc-based solution we had
before.

Have fun,

Arnold