[X2Go-User] Questions on possible setups and use cases

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue Oct 9 21:20:29 CEST 2012

Hi Cédric,

On Di 09 Okt 2012 19:01:05 CEST Möri Cedric wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I'm a newbie on x2go. I tried to find some answers in the wiki and
> the docs but I have still some questions:
> First of all, I found the mail archive; is there also a searchable
> archive like nabble or so?

we are on GMANE:
http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/contact:start

> I was able to setup the x2go-server and also to connect with a
> single windows xp-laptop, so this went fine.

:-)

> Basically, I try to determine if x2go suits our needs and what setup
> would be needed for it:
> We have an application server (Ubuntu 10.04) and we need to bring
> some of the applications on this server in a windows 2008 terminal
> server environment. So my questions are:
> Will the client work on window terminal without conflicts between
> the different users? Is it possible to have sessions to different
> applications for the same user?

For X2Go Client, this should work (I guess). For PyHoca-GUI (the other
X2Go Client application), this is in the (my) queue.

> We have about 100 potential users, about 10-20 concurrently working
> with about 100-200 sessions a day. Is it possible to estimate on the
> resources that are needed on the server?

X2Go supports published applications. You can blend in server-side
applications into a second menu tree. One session in published
applications mode is considered as one X2Go session. 10-20 X2Go
Session should be hostable on one big terminal server (8 cores, 16 GiB
RAM). However, it also depends on the load each user produces.

> Any hints on my questions or a pointer to some docs or use cases
> would be great!
> Thanks a lot in advance!

We, for example, use X2Go in public schools and one X2Go server
handles a class room with ease. X2Go can be very powerful and scales
really well, but maybe others should report here, as well, as I am
pretty much biased...

Greets,

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31