[X2Go-User] PyHoca, X2Go Server (Ubuntu 12.04) sound problems

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Fri Oct 5 23:01:57 CEST 2012

Hi Lukas,

On Fr 05 Okt 2012 15:47:09 CEST Lukas Laukamp wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I have a Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop running in an KVM environment with
> X2Go. Everything is working great but the sound redirection doesn't
> work. I have assigned a soundcard to the KVM machine which is
> detected correctly by Ubuntu. First I tried to use PulseAudio as
> transport in PyHoca but this doesn't worked. I googled a few minutes
> and found that there are often problems with PulseAudio, so I
> installed esd to test with esd. This also didn't worked. So for now
> I don't know what could be wrong. The X2Go server scripts for PyHoca
> and python-x2go scripts are installed on the server, I can control
> the sound options on Ubuntu (also in the X2Go session not only from
> the VNC console) but no sound is there. The client system is Windows
> 7 at the moment with the newest PyHoca version.
>
> Does someone has an idea what could be wrong and what I have to do
> to get sound input and output to work?
>
> Hope that someone could help me.

I have just tested sound between Linux (PyHoca-GUI) and Linux (Ubuntu 12.04).

What I do is:

   o launch pulseaudio -D on the client-side
   o launch PyHoca-GUI with Pulseaudio enabled on the client-side
   o start an X2Go session (e.g. a Terminal Session)
   o run the command paplay /usr/share/sound/pop.wav

I do not have a native Windows client here-around, so I cannot say
anything about Windows.

Can you check if sound works for clients with Linux? Testing from
Windows and Linux can narrow down: is it a server or client issue.
Also: please test with X2Go Client. Do you have sound, then?

Also: you do not have to enable a virtual sound card in KVM to have
sound with X2Go. I use KVM, as well, and always unconfigure the audio
devices (which get into the VM setup by default when configured with
virt-manager).

Greets,

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31