[X2Go-User] evince not snappy when displaying pdf, okular ok

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Tue Nov 20 11:26:12 CET 2012

Hi everyone,

I would like to have some input on which pdf software people uses on
this mailing list.

Evince (gnome2 pdf display software) is really slow and going through a
pdf document can be a pain, even on 1Gib lan connection. Xpdf is also
quite dragging.

Okular (kde pdf display software) on the other hand is decently snappy,
not as fast as local desktop, but yet decent enough for common users.

However I'd like to stay with gnome2 (actually mate-desktop)
environement. The issue was the same on debian squeeze with legacy gnome2.

Scrolling through libreoffice 3.6 (with anti aliasing disabled) is fine.
Firefox, which also draws its whole canvas, is fine too. So I think it
is more a counter optimisation in evince/gtk-canvas than a fundamental
problem.

So if anyone has some input on this, I'd be glad to head.

environement:
* Debian wheezy 32bit
* latest x2goserver and x2goclient
* mate desktop environement (new name for gnome2 environement).

thanks for your input,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon