[X2Go-User] x2go with git submodules

Ralf Hemmecke hemmecke at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 11:42:37 CET 2012

>> Maybe I should rather subscribe to the x2go-developer list. Looking at
>> http://www.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:development:git
>> tells me about "Checkout all repos:". A bash-script? That looks like
>> x2go should rather use "git submodules" no?

Hi,

maybe I shouldn't do this before knowing x2go better, but since I was
somehow shocked by this bash script...

I've actually executed it and found out that I should delete the
deprecated line *and* the line

x2goagent.git \

since also that gives a 'permission denied error'.

Furthermore, when I look at http://code.x2go.org/gitweb, I somehow get
the impression that the list on the webpage is completely outdated.

So, here my suggestion. Use git submodules and tell developers to clone
the sources like

  git clone git://code.x2go.org/x2org.git
  cd x2org
  git submodule init
  git submodule update

Someone from the core developers should (of course create the initial
x2org.git.

For demonstration purposes you can start with

  git clone git://github.com/hemmecke/x2go.git

but some core developer should actually produce a x2go.git like

  mkdir x2go
  cd x2go
  git init
  for r in buildscripts.git ,,, ; do \
    git submodule add git://code.x2go.org/$r; \
  done
  git commit

with the correct list of (sub-)projects or simply clone my x2go.git and
add the missing projects via

  git submodule add git://code.x2go.org/libjpeg-turbo.git

and then publish that x2go.git repo somewhere.

This probably doesn't give you the exactly same setup as you had before,
since (as you can see from the git://, everyone would only get read
access to the repository.

But hey, we are dealing with git, nobody actually needs write access to
anybody elses repository. The X2GO project has just to declare some of
the many repositories as the OFFICIAL one and one or two people would be
responsible to push into this OFFICIAL repository. For collaboration
there is github and all the other free git-repository hosting providers.

But of course, that is all up to the inner core of developers who
decide. I've just made my suggestion. Feel free to adapt to your actual
needs. (Since I am too new, I don't yet know them.)

Ralf