[X2Go-User] ubuntu 12.04 and x2go server installation - found reason for failed remote desktop session starts

BSAD x2go at bradner.com
Wed May 2 19:32:56 CEST 2012

brian mullan <bmullan.mail at ...> writes:

> I should have also mentioned that my x2go client & x2go server are both 64
bit.   Not sure if that makes a difference but it may.
<bmullan.mail at gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 10:55 AMSubject: Re: X2Go-User Digest, Vol 20,
Issue 20To: x2go-user <at> lists.berlios.deMike I never tried pyhoca just the
regular x2go client but I will check if there is a difference between the two.
But I do know that changing that sshd_config entry back to no causes x2go
session to fail and changing it to yes .. works.I'll try pyhoca first before
deleting the wiki entry.---------- Forwarded message ----------

> From: Mike Gabriel
<mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de>To: x2go-user
<at> lists.berlios.de
> Cc: Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 00:35:30 +0200
> Subject: Re: [X2Go-User] ubuntu 12.04 and x2go server installation - found
reason for failed remote desktop session startsHi Brian,
> On Mi 25 Apr 2012 00:01:16 CEST brian mullan wrote:
> then edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and enable ChallengeResponseAuthentication
> to YES
> *ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes*
>

> I cannot confirm that this setting change in sshd_config is necessary. I just
tested Ubuntu precise with X2Go and server logins were successful with
x2goclient and pyhoca-gui without the above change being applied.
> Please check your setup again and remove the part in the wiki that suggests
the above named change. Or explain in more detail why you think this is
necessary. Let's track this down fully, so we get a clearer sight on what is
happening here.
> On the server you now also must install x2goserver-xsession
> *
> sudo apt-get install x2goserver-xsession*
>

> Thanks for reporting this. This indeed may have been a bug in x2goruncommand.
My patch is currently being discussed on the x2go-dev
ML:http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=x2goserver.git;a=commitdiff;h=c13ffe1cb2c39edfacab52bc62e278469da19c9e
> With the given patch applied, the x2goserver-xsession package becomes optional
again. Packages for testing will be available in the nightly-builds soon.
> So basically, I think, we should remove this part from the wiki again, as
well. But before doing that, we have to wait for acceptance of my patch by the
other developers.
> Greets,
> Mike

I was having the same problem as you on Lubuntu 12.04 (which uses LXDE) and I
can confirm that your sshd_config change fixed it for me. Of note, Top shows 3
zombie processes as soon as x2goserver is installed and running. Still shows it,
but at least now it is working.

Also 64-bit (running in Hyper-V).