[X2Go-User] Redhat, runlevels and visibility (x2goserver)

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Jun 6 08:07:41 CEST 2012

Hi Burnce,

thanks for your detailled feedback.

On Di 05 Jun 2012 14:14:33 CEST  wrote:

> I am using x2go as an alternative to the overpriced commercial
> product from NoMachine. So far the road has been bumpy. Here is an
> honest description of problems I encountered when trying to install
> x2go server on an rhel6 machine:

Note, that non of the upstream developers works under rhel or
opensuse. We have to rely on people like you giving feedback. So, may
I ask you to help us improving X2Go for RPM-based distributions.

> 1) Contrary to debian packeages, the repo to use for rhel 6 is not
> advertized on the main download page. This leads to attempts to
> install from source, when a binary package is in fact available.

Please sign up for our wiki and prepare such a page. I have just
provided a skeleton.

http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:x2go-repository-redhat

> 2) Instructions for installation from source are unclear and
> outdated. GIT paths no longer work, configuration info is not
> sufficient etc.

Please point us to the relevant (outdated) pages in the wiki. Send us
the URLs please.

> 3) Once the repo has been found, and installation does not work out
> of the box, because no package for fuse-sshfs.x86_64 available on
> RHEL6. Could you add that package to your repo?

The RPM repositories are not maintained by us directly (at the
moment). I know that Alex has got involved with RPM packaging lately,
so he might give an update here. The RPM packaging had been induced by
Michael Kromer, the developer was Jan Engelhardt.

> 4) Once installation is is complete, several things do not work as
> expected...
>

> 4.1) File permissions are incorrect: sudo: /etc/sudoers.d/x2go is
> mode 0644, should be 0440

-> PING at MichaelKromer -> this needs fixing in the RPM repositories

> 4.2) On a server with gnome installed, but no complete X
> installation, creating a connection fails (session terminates during
> session start procedure with no clear error message). It turns out
> that with X installed and running (runlevel 5) x2go works properly.
> At runlevel 3, even with all packages installed it does not work.
> This differs from the free trial version of the commercial
> NX-server. Is this the way it is supposed to work or is there a
> service that is required and missing at runlevel 3?

This is not so on Debian. If all packages mentioned in Debian control
files of x2goserver and x2goagent / libnx-x11 are installed (on
Debian/Ubuntu) then it is possible to draw in a minimal GNOME setup
(gnome-session package) and to use that with X2Go.

http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=x2goserver.git;a=blob;f=debian/control
http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=nx-libs.git;a=blob;f=debian/control

About the runlevel issue, I am not sure. Is SSH started on runlevel 3?
I guess so. Hmmm... Once you can login via SSH, X2Go login should
normally work as well...

> 4.3) In the install from source documentation, reference is made to
> int scripts needed which should run 'x2gocleansessions' in
> background/daemon mode. No such script is installed but connections
> still can function (at runlevel 5, see point 4.2 above).

An example script can be this:
http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=x2goserver.git;a=blob;f=debian/x2goserver.init

If that is not in the RPM x2goserver package, then this needs fixing.

> The X2Go project is a great initiative and fills a clear need in the
> community. With a little effort, you could increase your visibility,
> gain more traction and increase both your user and your developer
> bases.

Please give us a hand and help improve the RPM aspects of X2Go! Thanks!