[X2Go-User] Can Only Keep One Session at a Time

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Mon Jul 9 18:46:00 CEST 2012

On Sun, 2012-07-08 at 22:09 -0700, merc1984 at f-m.fm wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012, at 06:32, Daniel Lindgren wrote:
> > Could be a TCP port conflict. Try changing the value for SSH_PORT to
> > 30200 in /usr/bin/x2gostartagent on one of the target machines so they
> > are using different port ranges. End all X2Go sessions (not just
> > disconnect, log out) before you try again.
>
> I don't see how it could be a port conflict, as one is addressed at
> 192.168.1.3:22 and the other at 192.168.1.4:22.
>
> Unless the problem is on the client end trying to access the two through
> some common channel.  But if this were the case, it wouldn't have worked
> before and it did.  I could have two sessions open on the laptop to two
> different destination machines.
>
> I don't think it's that SSH can only do one session as I can ssh to a
> target while the x2go client is running, and anyway the ssh servers are
> on different machines.

It's a problem on the client side.  That's why changing the port to be
different on one host from another host fixes the problem.

However, it was not always this way.  The older clients (e.g., 3.0.1-4)
accidentally supported multiple connections without having to fiddle
with the server settings.

We would very much like to see a reversion to the old behavior.  We have
been pushing the concept of Content Networks, i.e., rather than have a
single computer in which one tries to shoe horn all one's activities,
have multiple virtual desktops for major, e.g., engineering firms
providing outsourced services to multiple firms, PR and advertising firm
with account managers handling multiple accounts - wherever intensive
collaboration needs to happen across corporate boundaries.

Not being able to run multiple X2Go clients with default server settings
is a real pain for us.  Thanks for pointing it out - John