[X2go-User] Printing Security

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Jan 25 08:45:48 CET 2012

Hi,

On Di 24 Jan 2012 21:26:54 CET  wrote:

> Hi All -
>

> There is a post on the new site re printing security (see below).
> Does anyone have experience with Possible Solution 1?  We're hoping
> to get a few more pointers, maybe some extra documentation, some
> "here's how you avoid these pitfalls".  Thanks!

nothing of the below has been implemented yet. I will comment on some
of the ideas.

> X2goServer == CUPS Server, latest implementation (as of 20110909):
>
> [...]
>
> using X2go printing locally (X2go server == CUPS server) then
> security (sudo) is not an issue any more(?)
>
> Nope still is (not a big one, though): Using CUPS the user can
> easily be faked, allowing to fill someone else's quota or print at
> their home printer.

Ok, good point.

> Possible solution 1
>

> Start a local cups-server for every user
>
> Server listens on a File-socket owned by the user
>
> Add a PDF-Printer to that server (as the cups-user runs as that
> user, there should be no issues with file permissions)
>
> Import printers from global server
>
> + Secure solution, as no other user is involved
>
> - Every user needs an extra instance (The extra memory usage should
> not be too much)

This has been discussed on the mailing list and the consensus was to
stay away from CUPS instances on a user basis. However, if someone
starts on implementing I will be happy to review and support coding.

> Possible solution 2
>

> Write a simple C-Program 'x2goprinter' that is run as the user who
> wants to print unsing the s-Bit
>
> The Program writes stdin to argv[1] in the printing-directory
>
> It also checks whether the user is x2goprint or root
>
> + Can be easily adopted
>
> - x2goprint must be installed by the client
>
> - s-bit → Needs security checks

I have already spent a couple of hours on a possible setuid/setgid-bit
solution. At the end I came to the conclusion that s-bit approaches do
not work with the current print file transfer workflow. Maybe I was
brain-blocked here, so if someone comes up with a proof of concept I
would love to support a moval away from sudo here.

Greets,

mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen
fon: +49 (4302) 281418, fax: +49 (4302) 281419

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B