[X2go-User] AD integration?

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Jan 25 08:36:53 CET 2012

Hi Jonathan,

On Di 24 Jan 2012 18:07:29 CET Jonathan Brown wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been researching various options and it seems that x2go is
> preferable as it is based on nx and is actively developed.  I want to try
> it out, however just had a quick question on AD integration.  I understand
> there is this ldap option for the client, however, what about just joining
> the host server to a domain using likewise or centrify, and then once
> confirmed that users can log in via console and ssh with AD, can we not use
> the x2go client to log in as AD user? Also would their be a designation
> such as DOMAIN\ADusername ?
>
> Thanks!

Once you can log in to a Linux-AD-Client via SSH you can start using
X2Go right away.

Users that shall be allowed to use client-side folder sharing have to
be in the ,,fuse'' group on the Linux machine. This fuse group
normally is a local group (/etc/passwd), but it surely is possible to
place that group into AD.

I found it quite helpful to have the UNIX extensions activated in AD.
So that special posix attributes like uidNumber and gidNumber get
stored in LDAP and are recognized by the Linux-AD-Client. This allows
you to have multiple Linux boxes on site that have the same user
account base (usernames, uidNumbers, gidNumbers, all matching... which
is not the case if you use standalone winbind/AD client
implementations).

Greets,

mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen
fon: +49 (4302) 281418, fax: +49 (4302) 281419

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B