[X2Go-User] NX lib path issue prevents Xubuntu 11.10 sessions from starting

Benjamin Shadwick benshadwick at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 16:46:22 CET 2012

Christoffer,

Which desktop environment are you using? (XFCE, KDE, Gnome, etc.)

Since I'm using Xubuntu, I made a script in my home directory named
xubuntu.sh that I think looks something like this (doing it from memory,
since I'm not at home):

#!/bin/bash
export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS='/etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu:/etc/xdg'
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/nx/X11
exec /usr/bin/startxfce4

I then made it executable by running 'chmod a+x xubuntu.sh'.

Finally, I opened the x2go client on my Windows machine and set my session
to run a Custom Desktop and the command to /home/<myusername>/xubuntu.sh

If you're not using XFCE/Xubuntu, then you will probably want to remove or
modify the first "export" line and replace the last line with the path to
the command that starts your desktop environment of choice.

- Ben S.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 2:26 AM, christoffer krakou
<christoffer at fleten.net>wrote:

> Hello Benjamin
>
> Pardon me being a newbie, but how exactly did you do that?
> i have tried editing my users .profile, but it didn't help. Paths have
> managed to elude my knowledge. If you could give a quick pointer or two, i
> would be grateful.
>

> On 02/28/2012 06:29 AM, Benjamin Shadwick wrote:
>
>> I'm using Xubuntu 11.10 and can no longer login after upgrading to a
>> recent stable version of x2goserver. I tried changing my session to open
>> a Terminal instead of starting an X session, then tried to start the X
>> session from the Terminal prompt, and got the following error message:
>>
>> xscreensaver: error while loading shared libraries: libNX_Xext.so.6:
>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> xfce4-session: error while loading shared libraries: libNX_Xext.so.6:
>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> My LD_LIBRARY_PATH was set to just /usr/lib/nx/X11/Xinerama but
>> libNX_Xext.so.6 was in /usr/lib/nx/X11
>>
>> I added /usr/lib/nx/X11 to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and that seemed to get
>> things working again. Since I am already using a script to set some
>> environment variables in order to get a Xubuntu desktop instead of a
>> plain XFCE one, I just added the LD_LIBRARY_PATH fix to that for now.

> --
> Venlig Hilsen / Best Regards
> Christoffer Krakou
> Fleten.net APS