[X2Go-User] NX lib path issue prevents Xubuntu 11.10 sessions from starting

Benjamin Shadwick benshadwick at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 06:29:21 CET 2012

I'm using Xubuntu 11.10 and can no longer login after upgrading to a recent
stable version of x2goserver. I tried changing my session to open a
Terminal instead of starting an X session, then tried to start the X
session from the Terminal prompt, and got the following error message:

xscreensaver: error while loading shared libraries: libNX_Xext.so.6: cannot
xfce4-session: error while loading shared libraries: libNX_Xext.so.6:

My LD_LIBRARY_PATH was set to just /usr/lib/nx/X11/Xinerama but
libNX_Xext.so.6 was in /usr/lib/nx/X11

I added /usr/lib/nx/X11 to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and that seemed to get things
working again. Since I am already using a script to set some environment
variables in order to get a Xubuntu desktop instead of a plain XFCE one, I
just added the LD_LIBRARY_PATH fix to that for now.