[X2go-User] X2Go client windows switching problems

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Feb 15 22:26:14 CET 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 21:08 +0100, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Di 14 Feb 2012 18:02:41 CET Mike wrote:
>
> > Long time user of NX related programs for some time now.  Mostly
> > freenx, which has been driving me crazy lately.  I am a staunch
> > Debian user and feel that it's unlikely that freenx will ever enter
> > main there.  Hence my want to switch to X2Go.  I've been following
> > and trying to get this working for me too long now.  The largest
> > hurdle that is stopping me now is the inability to switch windows
> > properly when using the windows X2Go client.
> >
> > I keep a long running session open on a remote box and prefer to
> > keep most of my work there.  The problem is that I also have a need
> > to switch back to my local desktop often.  Typically I do this with
> > the "magic" pixel or Alt + Tab.  I'm also perhaps quirky in that I
> > want my remote session to be full screen not windowed.
> >
> > I do not experience this problem from a Linux laptop with X2Go or
> > PyHoca-Gui.  I can switch windows, suspend, resume, et. al. just
> > dandy!  My problem is with the M$ side of course.  Starting the
> > session is fine, even resuming one started elsewhere.  When I switch
> > back to another program though I can't get back to my session
> > properly.  Either I will see part of my desktop (KDE if it matters)
> > and the last program I was using in windows will be covering the
> > rest.  Sometimes if I minimize that program I will get my remote
> > session back, not often though.
> >
> > Typically what happens is I will get a small rectangle toward the
> > upper left of my windows desktop.  It may or may not have the
> > minimize, restore, close widget displayed with it.  When this
> > happens the only way back to my remote session is to close the
> > client and reconnect.  This does work, far too painful to deal with.
> >
> > Seems that I have just been babbling here.  If I can describe it
> > some other way, post logs, config, whatever I am willing to do that.
> >  A quick kick in the right direction would be appreciated.  Server
> > logs show nothing at any debug level that I see.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> @John Sullivan or maybe Stefan Baur: do you have any experience with
> this??? A contribution is much appreciated!

<snip>
Hi, Mike, et al.  I do have issues with the way the Windows client
handles keyboard grabbing.  I tend to work exactly as the posting Mike
describes and would prefer that <ALT><TAB> worked within the virtual
desktop and that either or both the magic pixel and keyboard shortcuts
(<CTL>M, <CTL>F) worked but I do not have this issue.  I have seen what
Mike describes but it is usually a network communications issue - very
high latency or packet loss and happens on Linux as well as Windows.
Hope that helps - John