[X2Go-User] Problem with KDE, Network Manager and X2Go

Daniel Lindgren bd.dali at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 20:01:46 CET 2012

Hi Reinhard,

What you propose is to introduce a completely new security policy:
> everyone in a certain group 'netdev' may change everything. This may
> be appropriate in your scenario, but may not be in others. For
> instance, have you considered what other packages "use" the netdev
> group? Are you fully aware about the consequences in terms of
> additional privileges users gain by being put in that group? Moreover,
> in a managed environment, where all users are in a network directory
> such as NIS or LDAP, it is not that simple to add a user to a
> computer-local group, as the group may have a different group ID on
> different machines. Such scenarios are not uncommon for larger x2go
> deployments at all!

The netdev group change is not a proposal for something I think should be
included in X2Go, more like "if someone has the same issue, I got it
working by doing this". I agree that adding the netdev group is not ideal
from a security perspective, someone who fully understands what's going on
could probably come up with a much safer solution.

Cheers,
Daniel