[X2Go-User] x2gothinclient performance

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Tue Aug 7 09:46:23 CEST 2012

Hi Michael,

> On 06.08.2012 10:40, Denis Cardon wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>>> I'm trying out x2go in thin client mode on more recent hardware (ZOTAC
>>> ZBOX, AMD E-350, 2 GB RAM).
>>>
>>> I experience both bad performance and high CPU load the client side,
>>> even worse than on my legacy Intel P III 1 GHz systems some time ago.
>>>
>>> Notable the x2goclient process consumes about 30% CPU time (one of tow
>>> cores) whenever a session is active - even a simple terminal (single
>>> application ->   terminal) waiting for input.
>>>
>>> Which options are recommended for local (1 GBit LAN) usage?
>>
>> you should check if your terminal is using the nvidia xorg driver or the
>> xorg Nouveau driver or the basic vga emulation on cpu. I guess your
>> terminal is using the cpu based vga rendering.
>
> my ZBOX isn't Atom/ION-based but AMD based. Therefore the radeon driver
> seems to be used. The drivers is loaded and X11 refuses to start when
> the radeon firmware for the framebuffer driver is missing.

sorry for the mislead answer. I bought a few zotac recently and all
where ion based. We are using in house debian-live for booting x2go
terminals (http://live.debian.net/), and I had issues with outdated
nvidia driver in debian and all the rendering was done on plain vesa
driver, which needed a whole lot of CPU.

> How can I check whether "cpu based vga" isn't active?
>
> Please note: the CPU time is consumed by the x2goclient process not by
> the Xorg process.

I'm currently running on a x2goclient running on a zotac (Intel Atom
D510, nvidia GT218 ION), and doing standard work (no intensive graphic)
takes between 5-10% cpu on the client side.

cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon